Friday, January 18, 2013

To Boldly Go...





The first semester has flown by and it's time for me to head off on this exciting sabbatical trip.

"The world is not in your books and maps… it's out there!"—Gandalf, The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien

And just that. I'm off to see these great schools and educators I've chatted with and learned from over the years. I'll meet many new people, catch up with friends, and explore the world. I'll have some time to reflect, invent, and renew... in 8 countries. A fine recipe for the future. 

And while I'm away...

Paul Molinelli steps in to work with folks here in the Lab, and I couldn't be more excited about that coming to fruition. Paul brings a wealth of experience to the mix and it's been great to get to know him better over the past month. Paul will be smithing this Lab blog here over the semester with students too. There are some great threads in motion already.

Tony Cirelli will step in to mentor the baseball program this Spring, and the players and families are in good hands. I've had the privilege of competing against Tony over the years when we coached at different schools and also to work with him to build this baseball program. Tony's a very competent and dedicated coach. This years Varsity team is a special group and it was a tough decision to step away from them this Spring. Ultimately though all those strengths and the tremendous character of the team made the decision easier. 'The Ship,' as in competing for a championship, is once again within reach.

My thanks to all the students, colleagues, and friends who have wished me luck and safe travels on this journey. Of course, this wouldn't have been possible without the generous support and visionary thinking of Barry and Wendy Rowland. Words can't express the gratitude I have for the Rowland's support to send educators out into the world on adventures.


I'll be blogging for Edutopia as this trip unfolds, and posting updates on my personal blog, CreativeStir, as well (there's a bit more about the logistics of the trip posted there already). I'm looking forward to the challenges to smith these journeys into some good stories and all the personal reflection and deeper thinking it brings.

Gandalf: You'll have a tale or two to tell when you come back. 
Bilbo: Can you promise that I will come back? 
Gandalf: No, and if you do, you will not be the same.

Step out your door...

Keep moving forward...

AP

8 comments:

  1. Yes. Good luck. http://www.birdsmoving.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good article. I like it. I got many interesting information. Great thank's author for that...

    Plagiarism Detection

    ReplyDelete
  3. The most innovation helpful entry! You make feature seem easy. The dynamic higher Standard entry idea of the topic is really meaningful indeed. On the whole look of the site is great, as well as the content! The top qualified post is observed carefully and now is is thought that your sharing idea is surely great and informative. Thanks for giving out the valuable feature. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post was a breath of fresh air. Keep up the good work! Looking to make your student visa process hassle-free? Contact the Best Student Visa Consultants in Vadodara.

    ReplyDelete